It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to jestersplace

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grunt0311 at Jester's Place 02/14/2014
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:24 am 
Site Admin

Grunt0311: HELLO EVERYONE!

Patience: Grunt0311 hi

devinehealth: Grunt0311 hi

cowamanta: Hi

Grunt0311: HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO EVERYONE. :)

HeartLand: Grunt0311 hi great! How are you?

Patience: Grunt0311 DONG GREAT, AND THE SAME TO YOU :)

alfonse: I wish that we would get a handle on "Global Warming" so we could get rid of all this Snow, Ice and cold weather :)

Betsy Ross: Grunt0311 hi doing great. How are you?

Grunt0311: alfonse Betsy Ross HeartLand DOING PRETTY GOOD... BEEN BUSY WITH MY SCHOOL WORK... IN FACT, THAT IS WHAT PROMPTED ME TO STOP IN TONIGHT. :)

Patience: Grunt0311 HOW IS YOUR GRANDMOTHER DOING

alfonse: Grunt0311 You going to teach us some real history??? :)

Grunt0311: Patience SHE IS DOING WELL... I'M OUT OF TOWN SO MADE ARRANGEMENTS FOR SOMEONE TO HELP HER EACH DAY.

Patience: Grunt0311 GOOD

Grunt0311: alfonse INDEED, I THOUGHT I MIGHT GIVE IT A SHOT. :)

alfonse: Grunt0311 I am all eyes :)

HeartLand: Grunt0311 you are an angel for taking care of her...you are also very blessed with that

Grunt0311: HeartLand THANK YOU blush

HeartLand: Grunt0311 you're welcome

Grunt0311: ALRIGHT, SO, I'M GOING TO POST AN EXCERPT THAT I BELIEVE YOU MAY ALL FIND RATHER INTERESTING...

Grunt0311: "The conditions which surround us best justify our cooperation; we meet in the midst of a nation brought to the verge of moral, political, and material ruin. Corruption dominates the ballot-box, the Legislatures, the Congress, and touches even the ermine of the bench. The people are demoralized; most of the States have been compelled to isolate the voters at the polling places to prevent universal intimidation or bribery. The newspapers are largely subsidized or muzzled, public opinion silenced, business prostrated, homes covered with mortgages, labor impoverished, and the land concentrating in the hands of capitalists."

Grunt0311: "The fruits of the toil of millions are boldly stolen to build up colossal fortunes for a few, unprecedented in the history of mankind; and the possessors of these, in turn, despise the Republic and endanger liberty. From the same prolific womb of governmental injustice we breed the two great classes-tramps and millionaires."

Grunt0311: "Silver, which has been accepted as coin since the dawn of history, has been demonetized to add to the purchasing power of gold by decreasing the value of all forms of property as well as human labor, and the supply of currency is purposely abridged to fatten usurers, bankrupt enterprise, and enslave industry. A vast conspiracy against mankind has been organized on two continents, and it is rapidly taking possession of the world. If not met and overthrown at once it forebodes terrible social convulsions, the destruction of civilization, or the establishment of an absolute despotism."

Grunt0311: "We have witnessed for more than a quarter of a century the struggles of the two great political parties for power and plunder, while grievous wrongs have been inflicted upon the suffering people. We charge that the controlling influences dominating both these parties have permitted the existing dreadful conditions to develop without serious effort to prevent or restrain them. Neither do they now promise us any substantial reform. They have agreed together to ignore, in the coming campaign, every issue but one. They propose to drown the outcries of a plundered people with the uproar of a sham battle over the tariff, so that capitalists, corporations, national banks, rings, trusts, watered stock, the demonetization of silver and the oppressions of the usurers may all be lost sight of. They propose to sacrifice our homes, lives, and children on the altar of mammon; to destroy the multitude in order to secure corruption funds from the millionaires."

Grunt0311: IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES THIS SOUND EERILY FAMILIAR?

Betsy Ross: Grunt0311 it does

Grunt0311: ANYONE WANT TO TAKE A GUESS AT WHERE THIS EXCERPT IS FROM?

Betsy Ross: Grunt0311 no clue

alfonse: Grunt0311 The sentence structure is to good for know, but sounds familiar

alfonse: Post Civil War ?

Grunt0311: http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/187 ... 4-1892.php

alfonse: Pre WWi

Grunt0311: 1892

alfonse: Good guess Alf ;) :)

Grunt0311: :)

Grunt0311: I DO BELIEVE SOMEWHERE I HEARD THE PHRASE "THOSE WHO DO NOT STUDY HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT." ;)

alfonse: This was a very tumultuous time in our history

Grunt0311: I WILL SAY THOUGH, THAT EVEN I WAS SURPRISED AS HOW UNCANNILY IT MIRRORED OUR CURRENT SITUATION.

alfonse: Grunt0311 " My people are destroyed by a lack of knowledge" Hosea $:^

alfonse: Hosea 4:6

alfonse: Grunt0311 See what happens when we are taught revisionist history :{

Grunt0311: YES, INDEED.

Grunt0311: AND SINCE WE'RE ON THIS TOPIC, I SUPPOSE I SHOULD GO AHEAD AND SHARE MY ASSIGNMENTS FROM LAST WEEK. ;)

alfonse: I am so glad this will be in the Forum !!! :)

HeartLand: alfonse :)

Patience: alfonse alfonse :) :)

Grunt0311: THE HISTORY OF RECONSTRUCTION - Background: Many Americans like to imagine the history of their nation as one of continual progress. While acknowledging that not all persons and groups enjoyed equal rights at all times, Americans often take it for granted that American history moves in only one direction: toward greater rights, greater freedom, and greater equality. This perspective makes it difficult for many Americans to understand the Reconstruction period and to place it in a broader historical narrative. The problem they face is that African Americans from roughly 1867 to 1875 enjoyed far more political influence and equal rights than they ever had before, or ever would again until the end of the modern Civil Rights Movement almost a century later.

Grunt0311: The fact that a group could be stripped of rights it once enjoyed is difficult for many Americans to accept, and so they often retreat into a false narrative, in which African Americans never gained any rights at all, and were abandoned to their fate as soon as slavery ended. In this model, the infamous Black Codes—which were in effect for less than a year—take center stage, and the various gains of Reconstruction get ignored.

Grunt0311: Instructions: After reviewing your Instructor’s Guidance and completing the weekly reading assignments (including those in the resource section below), please post a substantive discussion post of at least 200 words that analyzes the period of Reconstruction using the following questions as the basis of your analysis: Were the goals of Radical Reconstruction feasible ones? Is it possible to transform a society drastically by government action, or might attempts to do so prove counterproductive? Would a more gradualist approach to extending rights to and establishing freedom for African Americans have been more successful? What would be the costs and dangers of such an approach?

Grunt0311: HERE WAS MY RESPONSE:

Grunt0311: I believe the goals of Radical Reconstruction were feasible goals, and that it is most definitely possible to transform a society drastically by government action, both for the positive, and negative. In my opinion, many of the goals of Radical Reconstruction were achieved, at least for a short time, until Northern politicians gave up the fight, as evidenced when one Michigan Republican wrote in 1875, "The truth is, our people are tired out with this worn out cry of 'Southern outrages'” (Bowles, 2011), and “The southern Democrats grew in power and began adopting, once again, the racist rhetoric that marked the Black Codes of early Reconstruction” (Bowles, 2011).

Grunt0311: Now, when it comes to transforming a society drastically by government action, it is extremely important to point out that this is the period in which our country was transformed (or usurped) from a Republic into a Democracy (or Corporation). In his speech in the Senate on March 31, 1876, Blanche K. Bruce stated, “It will not accord with the laws of nature or history to brand colored people a race of cowards. On more than one historic field, beginning in 1776 and coming down to this centennial year of the Republic, they have attested in blood their courage as well as a love of liberty - I ask Senators to believe that no consideration of fear or personal danger has kept us quiet and forbearing under the provocations and wrongs that have so sorely tried our souls. But feeling kindly toward our white fellow-citizens, appreciating the good purposes and politics of the better classes, and, above all, abhorring a war of races.

Grunt0311: we determined to wait until such time as an appeal to the good sense and justice of the American people could be made”, which clearly stated how African Americans felt about the Republic. Yet, even our text refers to our form of government as a Democracy instead of a Republic when Bowles states, “For change to take place in the political realm in any democracy, people have to rise up and make informed decisions at the ballot box. At the turn of the 20th century, women and African Americans were not able to do this, and while the Progressive record was not as successful in these areas as some would like, they did begin the process of more inclusivity in the process of democracy” (Sec 2.2, Para 7).

Grunt0311: It is also important to note that within the Republic, there was a time when harm or damage was required for a criminal act to be committed. In fact, according to our text, when it came to the impeachment of President Johnson, “The Senate acquitted Johnson because they said impeachment could occur only if a president broke a criminal law, which he did not do” (Bowles, 2011). It wasn't until after the legislation of this time period (whether properly ratified or not) that the Republic started being referred to as a Democracy, and we started to be ruled by Corporate Law (with statutes) rather than Common Law. An excellent example of this subversion was the replacement of the original 13th Amendment with the one we recognize today. A rather extensive explanation of this can be found at http://www.barefootsworld.net/consti12.html with the appropriate supporting documentation and historical images.

Grunt0311: Unfortunately, while the legislation of this time period is touted as having freed the slaves, the reality appears to be much more sinister for all of us.

Grunt0311: I do not necessarily believe that a gradualist approach to extending rights to and establishing freedom for African Americans would have been more successful; however, I do firmly believe that education and tolerance are the most important part of this process. Even today, racial prejudice is a learned behavior that should have been wiped out after the civil war. Conversely, I also believe racial prejudice, as well as many other controversial issues, has been used as a political tool to keep “We the People” divided and focused on a passionate issue that prevents us from uniting for the common good. After the Civil War, as indicated by the What is Freedom video, 16 African Americans were elected to Congress with two more to the Senate. If only this trend could have continued, we would be a much more united country today.

Grunt0311: THE END

alfonse: BRAVO !!

Patience: Grunt0311 GREAT TY

cowamanta: Grunt0311 Wow...thank you

Grunt0311: YOU ARE QUITE WELCOME. :)

goodtimes: Grunt0311 very good sir! thank you

Grunt0311: HeartLand AS YOU CAN SEE, THE SOPHOMORE CLASSES ARE A LITTLE MORE IN-DEPTH... I ACTUALLY HAVE TO PUT A LITTLE BIT OF THOUGHT INTO MY RESPONSES, AND READ A LITTLE BIT HERE AND THERE. IF THE INSTRUCTOR WOULDN'T REQUIRE SO MANY SOURCES AND SUCH IT WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER. LOL

HeartLand: Grunt0311 lol upper classmen get more work cuz you're smartah than the year before :)

Grunt0311: ONLY IF YOU LEARNED SOMETHING NEW. ;)

HeartLand: Grunt0311 lol you did!

HeartLand: Grunt0311 the proof is right here on the screen!

Grunt0311: HeartLand NAH, LAST YEAR I LEARNED PROPER APA FORMATTING. LMAO!

Post subject: Re: Grunt0311 at Jester's Place 02/14/2014
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:09 am 

how do I join the chat room?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:10 am 

how do I take part of this chat room?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:12 am 

Try this link. Hopefully it works and you can sign up. Room is open from 6pm to 9pm pacific time.
http://client4.addonchat.com/iphone/chat.php?aid=598892

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:27 am 

democracy
noun
freedom of speech is essential to democracy: representative government, elective government; self-government, government by the people; republic, commonwealth. ANTONYMS dictatorship.

"Yet, even our text refers to our form of government as a Democracy instead of a Republic when Bowles states, “For change to take place in the political realm in any democracy, people have to rise up and make informed decisions at the ballot box. At the turn of the 20th century, women and African Americans were not able to do this, and while the Progressive record was not as successful in these areas as some would like, they did begin the process of more inclusivity in the process of democracy” (Sec 2.2, Para 7)."

Even though Bowles referred to our government as a "democracy" in his statement, he technically did not error in the usage, per the Webster's definition as stated above.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:09 am 

Just re-read this today. Still good words. What needs to happen is every American needs to get to know a member of our voting Leaders. Have a REAL knowledge of who represents us. Not just make a last-minute decision the day before elections. I personally will work harder in this area on my own decisions. We miss you Grunt!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]